Thursday

Oscar Asmundson

"And the Oscar for best lighting technician goes to . . . Oscar Asmundson!"

Okay, so former NHL player Oscar "Ossie" Asmundson never won an Oscar award, but there was a time where perhaps he dreamed of just such an honour. After retiring from hockey he moved to Hollywood and became a lighting technician on the sets of movies and television shows.

The 5'11" 170 forward from Red Deer, Alberta firs made a name for himself playing on Canada's west coast in Victoria and Vancouver before heading to New York to play for a little known team called the Bronx Tigers of the little known league called the Can-Am League. Asmundson's strong play in the Bronx helped him move to classier digs in Manhattan as he joined the NHL's New York Rangers in 1932-33, just in time to help the Rangers win the Stanley Cup!

A low scoring, defensive minded winger, Asmundson played one more year with the Rangers before he became a hockey vagabond. He would mostly play in the minor leagues, most notably with the Cleveland Barons, but he also saw brief NHL action with the Detroit Red Wings, St. Louis Eagles, New York Americans and Montreal Canadiens.

3 comments:

Unknown 8:05 PM  

Thanks for posting. This is my father and my sister and I enjoyed finding it.
A. Weber

Anonymous,  6:09 PM  

My maternal grandparents are Asmundsons. I wonder if we are related.
P. Henderson

Unknown 7:01 AM  

My maternal great uncle... his brother John Asmundson was my grandfather. I heard lots of stories about Uncle Oscar from my mother's brother Ed, a very colorful character! Thanks for posting...

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP